When the weather is cold, sometimes you may need a little extra heat than the heating system can provide. Especially if you spend time in an unheated basement or attic, you may decide that you need a portable heater. These are a great way to stay warm, even in the coldest winter chill. However, if you decide to use a space heater, it is important that you practice space heater safety. Following these simple tips will ensure that your space heater remains safe to use:
- Keep all flammable items away from the space heater, this includes paper, clothes, chemicals and anything else that could easily catch fire.
- Plug the space heater directly into an outlet, not using a three-in-one adapter. An electrician in Burbank, such as one of the experts from H Electric, may be able to help you if you need additional outlets.
- Use the space heater in a place where it will not be tripped over by those walking by.
- Do not use a space heater in a bathroom or other wet location—unless the heater is made especially for use in this space.
- If your heater or plug is damaged or broken, have it inspected by an electrician Burbank from H Electric.
- Do not run cord under rugs or carpets. This can be a fire hazard.
- Do not leave a heater in a room with unsupervised children. Children do not always understand that the heater is not a toy and may burn themselves on it.
- Always turn off your heater when you are not using it, or you leave your home.
While a space heater is an important tool to stay warm in winter, it is important to be safe when you use one. Contact H Electric today and let one of our professionals help you with all your space heater concerns.